Monday, January 22, 2007

unleash the Wolverine within!!!

Damn... I dunno wut got into me last night... no, no i dun mean in bed (well, thats an entirely different story), i meant at the gym...

I was actually kinda tired going through my capo workout.. but for some reason got really pumped up when it was time to hit the weights... so i headed over to the squat rack to start workin on my legs... ive got this routine where ur supposed to increase the weight u lift every workout, thereby adapting ur body to lifting more and challenging urself more everytime, lest the previous weight becomes the slightest bit easier for u... for more details, check out the Push/Pull routine series at Gregg Avedon's site... Try it out if u feel like revving up your workout a little...

anyway, so i load it up with 90kgs to start off with... for some reason the squat rack seemed really unstable while i was lifting... i get to my 3rd set, load it up with 110kgs... i start lifting, n one of the supporting beams falls apart.. sheeesh... was kinda embarassing, like being the kid who thinks he's Lou Ferrigno or sumthin n lifts way more than he cud handle... the trainer knew i cud handle it thou, so no worries... neways, we fixed up the rack quick, n i got on with my workout.. maybe ive sorta exceeded the limit on the squat rack.. but it cant be.. its just 110kgs, after all.. maybe it just needs repairing... im proud of myself to be able to handle that kinda weight thou... it means im progressing as predicted in the program..

I really got revved up workin my arms, thou... i progressed to doing 50lb dumbell curls!!! thats a high for me... heck, im not even sure if they have dumbells heavier than that in the entire gym.. it wasnt easy thou... pretty much shat myself doin it.. :P

there's sumthin bout liftin that kinda weight that gets u goin, if ur like me... sorta like having 300lbs over u on a bench press (havent progressed that far yet.. all in due time thou): when u have all that weight pushin/pullin u down, u can do one of 2 things: u either get really, REALLY pissed n motivated to lift it, or u ask for help from ur spotter... i did the former, partly cuz i knew i had it in me, but mostly cuz I train alone (so no spotter :P)... and mann, i got Wolverine PISSED!!! nothin was more fulfilling than completing the set and throwing down the dumbells... i know, i know, 50lb dumbell curls are probably peanuts to alot of people out there, but for me, it shows gradual progression in my strength training...

its stuff like that that keeps me headin back to the gym for more... stuff like that that keeps me working on my capoeira moves, knowing it'll all pay off eventually...

Cant wait to hit the gym again tonite... its Chest day today :) i wont hit the 300lb mark anytime soon, but atleast im challenging myself...

1 comment:

Kalamari said...

You have been tagged! Drop by my blog for more details!