Monday, August 21, 2006

Gimme that damn tyre!!!

This incident deserves its own post, primarily due to its significance as yet another capoeira achievement: I finally learnt how to extract wire from car-tyres and attach it to the berimbau.

No, it isn’t some complicated chemical process… all u gotta do is rip into the tyre n pull the damn wire out… but I didn’t know crap bout which way to rip, since I didn’t know where exactly the wire was..

Neways, firstly, to get tyre wire u need…. BINGO!! Tyres!!.. so I dropped by one of em roadside mechanics n asked em if they had any old tyres worth throwin away.. n Presto!!! within minutes, I was drivin back home with a muddy, dirty, dingy old tyre in the boot.

So, next up… rippin the tyre open… yeah I got lazy when it came to that, so I waited a day..

Now, its Friday nite… im supposed to go to Lahore early morning the next day.. n I haven’t packed anything… wut im worried bout is getting the wire out, hookin it up to the berimbau n playin a few simple tunes… n so I did..

Grabbin a knife from the kitchen, I ripped into the damn thing… tearin along the seams… after 1 hour of excruciating forearm effort, I ripped out a circle from one side of the tyre.. I knew where the wire was, I just hadn’t gone the right way bout getting it out… CRAP!!! Oh well, there’s still the other side.. this time, instead of rippin out an entire new miniature tyre, I actually got the wire… WOOHOO!!!

Neways, another hour gone by, I actually hooked up the wire to the berimbau.. n get this: due to lack of string, I used thread.. Yes, THREAD!!! It freaked me out tyin it up, lest it snap n fling right into my eye… but oh well… I’d already pricked myself in the thumb a couple of times cutting up the wire… n I had glasses to protect me… uh huh.. I was safe… not to mention I had to kiddie cousins paying more attention to me handling the wire than they prolly ever did in class…. Combined!!

So finally, amid consistent reminders to the kids to back off n keep a safe distance, I managed to string up the berimbau… With no kashishi (the rattling thingy), and a seashell for a stone… And for a stick, I used a plastic arrow from a kiddie Archery Set…. Sad, yes… but it worked… not beautifully though…

Oh well, u win some, u lose some… :D

N at 3am, I put the instrument away, washed up, packed a few clothes for Lahore, n hit the sack…

No comments: