Saturday, August 19, 2006

Paki returns to motherland after 6yrs, causes massive thunderstorm..

Okay… so here goes… after mom unexpectedly decided to NOT allow me to leave KL on the 8th of July, I finally got to leave on the 11th.. Don’t get the impression that I did it gladly, as I must admit I was unwilling to leave.. I mean hey, I avoided it for 6 months, didn’t I? ;) Anyways, I was to fly to Karachi, remain onboard for a few mins, and the flight would continue to Islamabad, my final destination in Pakistan.

N so I left KL, the land where I pretty much came into my own… I attended uni there, made friends for life, none of which I will ever forget (well, maybe some of them I will, but I highly doubt they read my blogs anyway :) ), and well, did a lot more than I can mention right now. In short, I left my life back in KL.

While waitin to board my flight, I made some calls to folks I’d spent a lot of time with recently.. to all those I didn’t call, I sincerely apologise, as I tried making as many calls as I could until they literally dragged me aboard the plane and specifically directed me to turn off my hand-phone… HONEST!!! u can even ask the staff.. just ask em bout the dude with the extremely long, well wrapped, curved shaft (I’m talking bout my berimbau… nothing else.. Honest!! N speaking of the berimbau, muito muito obrigado to Rafael, who’s now chillin his way thru 2 months in Brasil, for patching up one of the old berimbaus and allowing me to take it away with me… it plays sweetly, and I learnt how to rip out tyre-wires myself… a good workout, I must admit).

Anyways, the flight was pretty much uneventful, save for me splashing my coke everywhere due to some supposedly ‘minor’ turbulence.. Oh well, that’s Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) for you (I am not a good Pakistani, am i… just another reason for me to change my nationality :D ).. I dared not violate the ‘Handphones Off’ rules, hence I was unable to take any pictures.. I did get a couple of mean stares from a bunch of pathans, one of whom strikingly resembled Eric Bana (who played Hector in Troy, Bruce Banner in Hulk).. Pathans are sometimes known to be gay, but thankfully I didn’t get any of those looks… Phew!!!

So I landed at Karachi airport, and was surprisingly told to deplane… Confused, I made it to the waiting lounge with a number of other similarly-confused passengers.. Turns out there’s been a massive storm in Islamabad, which caused a delay.. I couldn’t help but wonder if that had anything to do with my returning after 6 yrs… neways, long story short, after 4 hours, 3 packets of chili crisps n 2 Pepsis, I finally boarded the flight to Islamabad.

Thanks to the storm, instead of staying up till 2-3am, my uncle ended up going sleepless on a weeknight, as yours truly arrived at 6.30am… I must congratulate him on hiding his displeasure (on losing sleep, that is.. not on my arrival), as it is well-known how beloved his sleep is to him…

Anyways, so I headed home, gave a long overdue shout out to my grandmother, had breakfast with uncles n aunts (during which I endured several taunts about what the sudden thunderstorm upon my arrival meant), said good morning to several bleary-eyed kiddie cousins (4 of them, at that instant, I think.. kinda hard to keep count), and after several minutes of refusing a bed for an immediate nap, I carried my luggage to a room, and gazing longingly at the bed, decided to sleep in for a few minutes… which turned into a few hours…

So that was my arrival in Paki-land… or pretty much the gist of it…

Next up: Can I go to China? Please?? Please?? Please?? Ohh, thank you Mr. Immigration Officer, Sir!!!

No comments: