Monday, April 24, 2006

With a cigarette in my hand...

its been a week since i last blogged.. seems addictive, doesnt it...

Speaking of addictions, I remembered watching this video for an anti-smoking campaign I saw on Zee TV (Indian Cable TV channel) sometime during the 90s, n happened to come across the lyrics today... they didnt mean shit to me at the time, but I always tried recalling it.. neways, I happened to come across the lyrics for the soundtrack for that video, n just wanted to share it will all the smokers out there... :

Title: A lesson learnt late

It was, I remember, many years ago,
When I had failed to distinguish between a friend and a foe,
When they had invited me ,holding open the pack,
When I lost to curiosity, instead of being taken aback,
When on that fateful day , for the first time,
I held a cigarette in my hand.

It was, I felt a part of being in the teens,
And what had started with a puff or two became a routine.
The smoke's illusion blinded me for as it arose,
Arose my spirits too, and I muttered to myself, "I can" because,
With a cigarette in my hand ,
I felt like a man.

Soon it came out in the open, for it had become a habit I could not hide,
I was helpless, for I could not help but continue,
Even when I knew, it was eating me up from inside,
I was sick...my body and my soul and I realized,
With the cigarette in my hand,
I was a dying man.

Soon I was just a lifeless form, a hollow,
People shunned me everywhere, I wished,
If only had I done something which others could follow,
But it was too late, I had taken the wrong path, and I was ignored,
because
With a cigarette in my hand,
I was a hated man.

All the time, tears filled my eyes,
For people had bid me their good byes,
I wept because my cells , my body was choking ,
If only on that first day,my friends had been joking,
And then one day, the cigarette dropped from my hand,
I was a dead man.

3 comments:

word salad said...

woah! so true...ppl.. just don't start..not even for the fun of it..it's committing slow suicide and it is wrong.

Anonymous said...

hi mate,

nice job. i m also looking for the audio or video of the same commercial for a long time.
if u come across pls mail it to me at amit.thakkar@rediffmail.com

Abhay said...

hi mate..
gr8 post...
did you manage to get the audio/video .
if yes.. please can you send me the same