Thursday, March 16, 2006

Love of the game mann... Love of the game...

I've read books on a certain basketball player... im sure u've heard of him... dude goes by the moniker of Air Jordan, won 6 rings in 8 yrs, balled with the Chicago Bulls, sportin #23 all over the frikkin globe... yeah, 'heard of him' is an understatement, i know... shut up...

neways, both the books I read on the dude... documented the one period of his career where he faced being temporarily sidelined due to a severe foot injury... n the guy missed out about 62 games over the course of an 82-game season.. anyways...

I remember readin bout how the dude couldnt bear to watch his team play without him, n how he'd be fightin against management so they'd let him play limited minutes at the very least, if not the entire game.. I remember thinkin, dude, we know you love the game, but ur injury's serious, it cud get worse with another minor hit... but that never entered the dude's head... eventually the injury healed completely n the dude got back to dominating the game like we all know him to do, immediately droppin 63 on Larry Bird n what not..

neways, i aint writin to talk bout Jordan's highlights... much respect to the dude, this blog alone wouldnt be enuff to document all of those...

pertaining to the topic in mind, I recently understood his mindframe during his period of injury.. I got injured last week tryin out some flashy Capoeira move... its not crippling, Thank God, just a muscle pull (or worse, a tear, but i think id be screaming in pain if that happened).. its takin a while to heal... to be honest I cud play through the pain, since my love for the art is that strong... but i know in my mind its better to let it heal, or it could worsen, leaving me out of action for longer...

truth is, ive missed almost a week of classes... N it hurts mann... no matter the pain in my arm when i wake up each morning for almost the past week... no matter the fact that I had to consciously ignore the pain everytime I tried liftin my arm vertically... its nothin compared to the pain I feel everyday realizin I gotta miss another day of training cuz its better to let this heal... in all actuality, I could have limped my way through training if thats wut it took, but it was other reasons preventing me from attending training this week... but everytime I realized id be missin another training session, the image of MJ screaming at his coach from the sideline to let him into the game comes rushin back.. n i understand wut it must have been like...

n now i TRULY understand, wut causes a person to go on as if its the last thing he'll ever do.. to ignore all logical reason n go all out.. to ignore the pain that deters him from doin wut he loves to do n appear to be superhuman to onlookers... to feel compelled to defy all odds... to look on in wanton, then finally sayin to himself 'Screw It' n steppin out to do what he loves best... its called..

The Love of the Game...


P.S. I'm headin back to training tomorrow no matter how severe the pain... can barely hold up a berimbau, but just bein there puts me at ease... dunno bout the Bangsar Roda thou...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This hasn't anything to do with anything. But at this point my impulsiveness seems to be in over-drive due to that number 23 motivational entry you just pulled. Anyways something I just came across online, pretty powerful stuff coming from a raving eccentric. Einstein.

"A Human Being is a part the whole called by us "Universe," a part limited in time & space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Hmm, delusion aye?. Well I've always called you a delusional bitch :-P. ehhe. Later dawg.